Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Fashion Diva, A Dirt Diva & Cricket

This weekend is only half gone, but it's been a busy one thus far!


What I wore for "date night"

Since I'll be 'working' on Sunday, I started my weekend on Friday and I have to say it's been a blast. I've been part "fashion diva" by dressing up for the night out on the town...AND I've been a "dirt diva" by going mountain biking earlier in the day. (I also met a cool chick named 'Cricket'...more about that later)

After a full day of being a "Dirt Diva" I switched hats and enjoyed being a "Fashion Diva" in the evening. I love dressing up because it makes me feel pretty (and after a day in the dirt, it's a good alternative, LOL!)

I really was a bit if a "Diva" because I insisted that we go to my favorite Mexican place for dinner. It is called "Pure" and is located in a darling little town called Matthews. It's fresh grilled and the margaritas come in every flavor!


Such a sweet little town...



In the moring, Hubs and I checked out a new mountain bike trail...


It was such a beautifully wooded trail...but then we came to a loop called "Rollercoaster". 
That put an end to the sight-seeing!
 Fast sharp turns, steep banks and quick downhills made this one crazy ride!

Below, standing next to the silo & directional signage on the trail.
Either go left for the Rollercoaster loop or go right for the main loop.
 I ended up doing both loops that morning.


I survived the Rollercoaster loop!
Actually I'd love to go back and do it again, LOL! What fun.

Below, I 'm coming up out of the woods at the end of the Rollercoaster loop...


Along the way there are these crazy road 'challenges' (most of the time you don't have to take them on).  Below was one way you could ride the trail (up a tree)...Hubs choose to go for IT!


Below is a side view of the boards that you ride your bike on...


There were plenty of these skinny board challenges you HAD to do in order to complete the bike course. For example, there was a long boarded path going all the way across a muddy bog. The only way to get to the other side of the course was ride across it. It made my palms sweat because one false move and I'd end up in that nasty-mucky water! To be honest with you, if the boards were big enough to get off my bike and walk it across I would have! Honestly I would've...it was that scary. But after surviving this crazy 'challenge'...I realized I pushed myself further than I normally would have. I guess it's a good thing to step out of the box and do something you don't think you can. It's especially gradifying to realize you actually have SUCCEEDED in doing so! 

A couple of hours later...after riding the rough mountain course we met up in the parking area to rest. There were other "bikers" there chatting...and this is where the story gets interesting....

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention what got the talking started with the other bikers was MY one muddy shoe! I ended up halfway in a creek and had to climb out of the muck! I had a little slip up on one of those boarded challenges I mentioned...but it was over a small creek...not the long path over the bog that I was so frightened of! The muddy shoe conversation got us talking with this lady (there are not many women on a mountain bike course, by the way) and asked her if she'd been on this trail before...

Cricket does more than chirp! This woman ended up being more than just some lady that bikes on a mountain course. She was quite interesting and it all started when she said her name was 'Cricket'. I have to wonder, is that a pet-name that stuck with her? Or is it her REAL name? I mean, who names their daughter "Cricket"...really, who does that? Someone named "Moonbeam" from the 70's??? Sorry but I really do wonder...

Cricket was there that morning practicing for an upcoming race. She practices with men that are some type of team bikers. By practicing with competive men, she works out harder than if she were to practice for the race on her own. So get this: Cricket will be racing the Tour Divide (tourdivide.org) that mountain bikes from Canada to Mexico in 28 days!!! This will be her 4th Tour Divide race (several of them she did not get to finish). As we asked lots of questions about mountain biking and her upcoming race, she shared with us her custom-made bike packs (weighing only 10 pounds) that she will have strapped on her bike as she bikes 16 hours a day for 28 DAYS!!! I can't imagine having a bike saddle up your BUTT for 28 days!!! 

Oh, did I mention Cricket's a mom of 2 boys and she is 44 years old???? Unbelievable!!! And I was just amazed I made it over a muddy bog! I tripped up in the small creek BUT I made it across the muddy bog. Yes, I did.

All I can say is "Girl Power"! My only regret...NOT getting my photo taken with Cricket the "wonder woman"!!! 

We can be powerful by dressing as stylish as we want and DO whatever we set our minds to--it's really up to US! Have a great weekend everyone! Love, Leslie



6 comments:

  1. Wow, you are an amazing woman! I thank you so much for your words of wisdom and insight.

    Go Leslie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deanna...it was an "Aha" moment for me that needed to be shared! If we want something bad enough...we can make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your date-night outfit! It's hard to believe the girly-girl in that first picture is such a dare-devil at heart. :) I'm glad you're having a great weekend.

    I just posted pictures on my blog of my first attempt at refashioning. Hope you get a chance to drop by:
    http://ahappyvalentine.blogspot.com/2011/05/refashions.html

    Love, Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had an exciting weekend, even if you had to work Sunday. Hope you got some rest, too.

    Cricket sounds really interesting! I hope you keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those trails look like fun! And I LOVE your date night outfit- very pretty =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found Cricket's (the lady mountain biker I met that day)....She's trying to break a record as top female in the Tour Divide Bike Race from Canada to Mexico. Here is the link to her online tracker: http://trackleaders.com/tourdividei.php?name=Cricket_Butler

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment. I hope you enjoy my blog and stop by often!

Love, Leslie

4 Steps to Chic

1. Start with a feminine top 2. Pair with classy slacks 3. Ground with bold shoes 4. Finish with statement earrings ...